Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Piece of Cake

#179 Pieces of Cake Watercolor
Pieces of Cake, original watercolor, 9" x 11"
Yesterday, when I mentioned that painting dogs was no piece of cake a strong urge came over me to paint a piece of cake...
Correct me if I am wrong, but you will not see many white cakes in Paris. True I bought this creamy affair from Castelblangeois, thinking I would paint it. But your standard American white cake with icing (we're not talking wedding cakes) is hard to find in Paris.
Whipped cream up the whazoo like this pile of creamy delight from Angelina is another matter. This will never deflate instantly like your everyday Ready-Whip either.
For me, all these glorious whipped cream-filled Gerard Mulot creations do not count as white cake...
White eggs abound in Paris - here a giant white chocolate Easter egg at Pierre Marcolini. And the French are more prone than we to have an oeuf dur every morning with nary a thought.
Now the Japanese know how to make a good white cake and they aren't afraid to give it a French name like this St. Honore at Mitsuwa Marketplace in New Jersey.
The French can do no wrong when it comes to white porcelaine of course...
Mariage Freres' white teacups are perfection as is the tea within.
This bebe blanche too is la creme de la creme. Only the Italians can run neck in neck with the French in the area of exquisite baby clothes.
White cheese is another area of expertise the French have mastered from day one. Fromage frais de campagne sounds so much better than our Cottage Cheese does it not?
I'm inclined to say the French make the best yogurts or yaourt on the entire planet, but the Greeks might take umbrage with such a statement...
Wall after wall of white yogurt varietals are available in any French super marche. How anyone can choose is beyond me. PB readers often ask me to reccommend a nice Paris bistro.
My 'bistro' meal of choice is eaten inhouse:
Yaourt + a Salade Compose
I eat far too many researche pastries for your benefit, hardship though it is, hence I'm reduced to settling for a cup of yogurt for dinner. Just don't ask me where you can find a nice piece of cake.
BONJOUR BLANCS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY