Friday, February 8, 2008

Boulangerie Breakfast

Finally in time for breakfast!
Hmmm...I didn't get today's painting done :(
This was my boulangerie in the Marais.
Boulangerie Sylvie et David Béatrix at 149, rue St Martin
Nothing spectacular.
Just my boulangerie.
Everyone has their own boulangerie in France.
Usually it's the one closest to their house...
I tried the Kouign Aman that David Lebovitz is always raving about...
But I think you have to go to Brittany for the real thing, carmelized up the whazoo.
These are those little puffy chouquettes, crispy on the outside and moist inside. In France they're the everyday afternoon snack Tartelette loves to make with "pâte à choux" pastry, pronounced (shoo-kett).
Linzer Tartes probably aren't Viennese, though the French insist on calling all their breakfast pastries viennoisserie instead of Danish pastries, but they make me think of Merisi's obsession with pastry...
And Janice can never stop painting these creamy religieuses.
My obsession is anything lemony - Tarte Citron Méringué or Lemon Meringue Tart. I'll take them all!

Dorie Greenspan did an homage to a gateau basque and The Gateau Basque Museum I have yet to try this...
Not a baguette but all boulangeries remind me of a story told in the Patrice Leconte movie, Man on the Train (L'Homme du Train) about a man who goes into the same boulangerie for years and years and only orders 1 baguette...
Damn, I forgot the bread. Would you mind going for a baguette?
Sure.
I hate to ask but I don't like going.
Why?
The salesgirl.
What about her?
It's an old story...
Let's hear it.
Each time I went in there, she'd say, "Anything else? Anything else?" (avec ceci)
One day, I was so fed up and told her that was enough, that if I needed anything else, I'd ask for it.
And?
When I went in the next day, I took my one baguette, paid for it and guess what she said. "Will that be all?"
You didn't murder her?
No, but I buy supermarket crisp bread now.
Boulangerie Beatrix always had nice sandwiches in the window. One day I went in and when it was my turn I asked for the sandwiche de chevre.
You mean the sandwiche FROMAGE DE chevre the salesperson corrected me!
Hmmm...yes. I definitely don't want goat sandwich..uh oh
Bonne petit dejeuner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY