Thursday, February 28, 2008

Le Violon d'Ingres

#172 Ice Cream Trio watercolor

#172 Ice Cream Trio, original watercolor, 10" x 12"


Great figurative artist, Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, well-known for his passion for playing the violin gave the French language an idiomatic expression, "violon d'Ingres", meaning a hobby or avocation.
My "violon d'Ingres", when in Paris, is to go round taking photos of ice cream cones. Don't think for a second the giant pistachio cone lurking behind the cone lineup at ICE TO ICE gelato is for me.
I'm not quite sure why I love to see these lined up, but I do...
Is it about "Great Expectations"! So many cones waiting to be filled at Delizefollie Gelato on rue Montorgueil.
I love cone maps too..
Much like with chocolate maps, you suffer attacks of indecision while waiting your turn to choose.
My family used to go ice cream hunting on Sundays when I was a kid. I was the one sent in to "buy" the cones for everybody. Did they think the server would take pity on a 6-year old and give more generous scoops? And how come my mother always got to "trim" my cone before I even had one bite?
Here's a "logo" cone from the Paris chain, Amorino.
YUM! An even nicer logo cone from Chanel!
Even if you don't like ice cream, could you pass up this ruby and diamond encrusted cone?
Surrealist photographer Man Ray, was an admirer of the Ingres' paintings and made a series of photographs, inspired by his languorous nudes. As a visual joke/pun he painted on the f-holes of a stringed instrument and named this, "Le Violon d'Ingres". Was it his hobby taking pictures of the model Kiki?
I used to be so obsessed with Ingre's figure drawings, that I took myself off to visit the rather obscure <>Musée Ingres in the small southwestern town of Montauban not once, but TWO times! Back then they let me sit in the cellar and hold original drawings in my hands = 7th heaven. So Ingres was my hobbie..my "Violon d'Ingres" so to speak. I bet they have the actual violin there as well...

My "Violon d'Ingres" for the time being is collecting these ridiculous miniatures..

If you'd rather make REAL ice cream than collect faux epoxy minis get David Lebovitz's excellent Perfect Scoop. And if you'd like to eat at a very good Parisien bistro do visit Chef Christian Constants' Le Violon d'Ingres
What's your violon d'Ingres?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY