Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Pages from the Past...

Today is the first day of school.
Kids will be learning handwritting.
I ignored that early training to my own detriment.
I was too busy drawing pictures on the paper to pay attention.
Now I can't read my own handwriting nor can anyone else.
I fell back in love with handwriting when I discovered French wine labels.
British Copperplate calligraphy or what the French call "Anglais"
is used everywhere and has such a classy look to it.

5 years ago I took myself off to calligraphy classes with Elinor Holland.
It's not too late to run and sign up if you have a few free Sundays!
You practice and practice like scales on the piano,
the same letters over and over.
It's a lot like meditation, but your hand is moving constantly.
And you're making these lovely swoops and swirls.
It's a lot like drawing...
You also have a good excuse to buy lovely bits of pen paraphrenalia!
Last trip I fell victim to the Marie Antoinette inkpot here

and I don't even practice anymore...
I wish all the new kids on their first day in school the best of luck.
I hope they pay better attention than I did in handwriting class...
"If only Carol would just pay attention"

Bet you never heard that one?
The French still love fancy handwriting
And so do I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY