Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Japanese woodblock prints have long influenced my still life watercolors. The French Impressionists, particularly Manet,
collected Japanese prints like mad. The abstract areas of black in the prints, the mastery of balance in composition achieve serenity and intensity at the same time,
all strongly influenced their paintings. Japanese prints on my studio wallMy studio walls are covered with print reproductions. I like to think I'll soak up their beauty by osmosis.
Utter simplicity balanced with wonderful negative/positive shapes... I bought this facsimile ages ago. The colors are so soft and delicate, yet the composition is very strong. Artists began making still life prints after Commodore Perry "opened" Japan and the new influx of European painting.

The ships also brought in the Prussian or Paris Blue pigment you see in so many prints.

I can't resist Japanese household objects either;

the shiny, deep reds, pale greens and blacks.
Plus all the wonderful surface textures. I bought all of these at KORIN.

The book that got me addicted:
The Great Wave:the influence of Japanese woodcuts on the French, from an exhibit at the Met. The prints first showed up in France,used as wrapping paper for shipped pottery from Japan. Their strong patterns and asymetrical compositions captivated the Impressionists. Van Gogh copied them exactly in oils to better understand them. I started collecting prints after that show and they still hold my rapt attention...
(Reposted from October 26, 2006)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY