Thursday, July 12, 2007

Shoe Designer...

You may have noticed I like to throw in the odd picture of shoes
here and there in a post...
And I'm not just talking chocolate shoes either...
The Paris METRO is a good place to steal shoe shots...
Or just window shopping late at night...
I used to design shoes and part of the job description
was keeping your eyes open at all times for new trends and details...
A friend heard of a design job
on the Bowery,
so I ran to PRATT and took a one-week pattern making course.
This shoe put me on the front of
Footwear News :)
I found an Indian embroidered pillowcase with mirrors
and decided it would make a good espadrille...
When the orders piled in, the problem was

where to find more of the same Indian pillowcases :(
Six months later I met someone at the tennis club
who asked me if I'd like to design shoes in Europe!
Pretty soon I was attending shoe shows
in London, Paris, Bologna,
and always keeping my eyes open for new trends and details...
I found a vintage man's oxford in London
and designed a "Fred Astair" group around it...
The shoe company had offices in Florence
(with a palazzo on the Arno) and Alicante, Spain,
so it was a constant diet of pasta, paella and shoes...
Tough huh?
I'm still keeping my eyes open for new trends and details,
and I spotted this sign in a Marais shoe shop last trip for
"BRONX" shoes Who'da thunk it?
Not shoes, but still Paris feet, at the 2006 art show in
the Jardins du Luxembourg...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY