Friday, April 23, 2010

My Mother's Clothes

My mother's clothes were filled with magic. I loved watching her dress for a party. I loved exploring her closet when she was out. Her clothes were the gateway to the mysterious world of adults.
When I discovered Jeannette Montgomery Barron's book on her mother's clothes in Paris...
First at elegant Galignani...
Then at the musee des arts decoratifs I was captivated...
Her mother's fashion notes...
Reminded me of my own mother's design school sketches.
And my mother's ever present dreams of becoming a fashion designer. There were many parallels, like Jeannette's mother's obsession with fashion. While her mother bought the best - Bill Blass, Norman Norrell, Yves Saint Laurent, my mother only dreamed of those names. Together we sleuthed the best shops to examine and plot, so my mother could go home and sew up her own versions. Like Jeanette's push/pull tug of war with her mother, I too did not want to be fashionable as an adolecent. I did NOT want to become a fashion designer. No way! So many memories surfaced while paging through Jeannette's book that I had to get in touch with her. We started emailing... Last night I went to her book party...
At Kate Spade on 454 Broome street.
The champagne was flowing...
People were lining up...
To get their books signed...
And signed
There was hardly a moment to say hello.
And say "Thank you" for reconnecting me with memories of my mother...
Jeannette has photographed many artists - Francesco Clemente, Keith Haring, Jean-Michel Basquiat. No wonder the pictures of her mother's clothes are like paintings. Her work will be in the Staley-Wise gallery. As I was sleuthing around shooting, Jeannette recognized me from my blog photo with the giant red goggles! I've lost my anonymity but it was a delight to meet her.
Kate Spade is the perfect home for Jeannette's very beautiful book.
My Mother's Clothes, works as the perfect accessory to carry under you arm.
Leaving the shop, I noticed the sign...
WE LOVE OUR MOMS
Ain't that the truth.
There's so much I haven't told you about Jeannette's book...
But her video says it all.
MERCI JEANNETTE!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY