Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Poissons D'Avril

Poissons D'Avril From Day 1 of arrival in Paris, I have been collecting fish pictures to show you today on April first - "Poissons D'Avril"
Poissons D'Avril The French way of celebrating April fool's day is to pin a paper fish on someone's back when they're not looking. They walk around all day like an idiot with this fish on their back and everyone giggles at them.
Oh they also celebrate by eating a ton of little chocolate fish...
Poissons D'AvrilHere's a FISH TANK I noticed right off the bat...
Poissons D'AvrilOn rue de Seine in the 6th at Mimi's Sardine...
Poissons D'Avril These are very traditional ganache-filled chocolate "sardines" and cost quite a bit more than the sardines allowed on "The Euro Diet".
Poissons D'Avril A kid's backpack encouraging them to eat their fish...
Poissons D'AvrilA more direct way to get your brain food is to just lay your head on this Pierre Frey pillow...
Poissons D'AvrilGerard Mulot offers a plethora of chocolate fish - in white chocolate, dark, milk, even orange!
Poissons D'AvrilA more elgant version here at Fauchon. When I was invited for dinner I suggested bringing a variety of these chocolate fishies (referred to as friture) for a tasting. The hostess freaked and begged me not to. All her furniture was white and there would be lots of people. I think she thought I was bringing FRIED FISH!
Poissons D'Avril No Paris chocolatier has had more fun with Poissons d'Avril than the very chic and excellent Patrick Roger. He's even giving out free paper fish to stick on the backs of all your pals. The logic of placing a dark chocolate paper fish that not many will notice is beyond me, but I appreciate the gesture.
Poissons D'AvrilHediard's windows are full of fish too...
Poissons D'Avril Caviar rhymes with Hediard...
Poissons D'Avril Paul's Boulangerie is celebrating with these bread fish hanging in the window. I'll take the chocolate version thank you very much.
Poissons D'AvrilSpeaking of which, I have remained diligently on THE EURO DIET this trip. Not that I've lost any pounds to speak of, but my pocketbook is doing nicely. It's been a constant battle with the giant maw of the Euro fish and every purchase has become a decision-making process I've learned to enjoy. I've even become more thoughtful of where my $$$ is going.
True every now and then on occasion, I throw caution to the winds and say "To Hell with it! I'm getting one Guimauve or a tarte apricot !" But mainly I've stayed on course with one exception. I have indulged myself liberally in the area of chocolate friture. A little bag of these chocolate fish is the cheapest way to sample Paris' best chocolate since they're much like eating a plain bar of chocolate - no fillings, no flavorings. Most bags sell in a range of 4 - 9 euros for a 100 grams (3.3 ounces). And I'm bringing them all home and looking forward to a tasting at chez moi, where there is no white furniture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY