Monday, November 24, 2008

Paris Map Fair

Les Macarons a la pistache,watercolor on Etsy,sold 5.5" x 7.5
Before I went off to Paris I was chatting about my love of Paris Maps and chocolate maps...
So when I spotted this poster for a map fair in one of the passages the following Sunday I was hooked.
Les Macarons a la framboise,watercolor on Etsy, sold 5.5" x 7.5
I'm not sure what I thought I'd find there but it was free and I LOVE maps! :)
Add Image Over at Hotel Ambassador on 16, boulevard Hausmann, there was room after room of plenty of maps...
And map dealers from all over Europe...
And throngs of people seriously perusing all the maperie...
Maps are a kind of flat art that is immediately engaging. So much imagination is implied. You can put things where ever you want them and decorate the hell out of them.
It was the crazy decorations that drew me...
There were books and books full of the things...
I love all the hand lettering too....
But particularly these illustrated cartouche called out to me...
A cartouche is an oblong enclosure originally found In Egyptian hieroglyphs and flung all over these hand-drawn maps in the most colorful and whimsical way.
So the next macaron map that comes along, I'm ready to do the cartouches. In fact I may have to create it myself from start to finish.
BON LUNDI!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY