Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mini Maine

NO MINIS in Maine!
Do I hear a sigh of relief?
This is about doing thumbnails - mini sketches as preparation for your BIG painting.

Here is David Dewey's subject matter for the workshop's first day demo...(HELL! Bridges - bah)

DD paints. We watch and listen...
The end results. DD reminds us - the painting is first on our palette, so he places his next to the finished watercolor.
This subject is too daunting for me first day out. I take a look at DD's ever present portfolio. Here are some "thumbnails" studies David did from Winslow Homer compositions. See! Even the pros do "thumbnails"!
This set of 4 thumbnail studies are from David Dewey's watercolor book. I decide I'm going in this direction...
I pick a view to the left. Notice - NO BRIDGES to mess me up.
First I start with pencil sketches and then move on to my little watercolor Moleskine ( only 5 1/2" x 3 1/2"). This is FUN! and the fear melts away...
The more thumbnails I do... ...the looser I get.
Owl's Head Rocks, original watercolor,9" x 11"
Finally I feel comfortable doing a "big" painting. Well not exactly BIG...
The next morning I took a look at a Winslow Homer book for rock painting reference. WHOA! Much more rock practice is needed obviously. Hey I even did a few practice thumbnails yesterday. I'm doing my homework!
BONNE JOURNEE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY