Friday, August 3, 2007

Denise Poiret in a chemise at the Park Avenue Hotel in New York Yesterday I went to see the Paul Poiret fashion exhibit at the Met. It closes Saturday so you better run.
Isabell at 16 At the exhibit all I could think of was my mother, Isabel...
She always wanted to be a fashion designer.
Her family was against it, but she won a scholarship to Moore College of Art in Philadelphia.
Poiret illustration I only discovered after she died, that she'd graduated at the top of her class with the best fashion design collection in 10 years! I found an old newspaper clipping she'd never shown me...
Isabell at 16 She did get to work briefly as an assistent to a reknown Philadelphia hat designer. Part of her duties were chauffeuring him around town. Hmmm...then her parents wanted her to "chauffeur" them out to a hot springs resort in California and she quit her design job - end of her dreams of a design career.
Poiret illustrationOut there she met my father, they danced and 3 days later he proposed.
My mother on her wedding day in her bias-cut wedding dressMy mother designed and made her own bias-cut silk wedding dress.
Photo from cousin Bill and LouiseMy mother often used me as a foil. Together we'd go sleuthing in designer shops. She'd try on and secretly examine the inner construction of posh dresses. Then she'd go home and create her own version. We made doll clothes together. Her plan for me was for me to go to design school and complete her dreams of becoming a fashion designer.
My MotherNaturally I was having none of it.
I was REBELLIOUS!
I did go to art school. I went to many art schools. Don't ask how many. All I did was draw. I had not one ounce of ambition to do ANYTHING. I was 24 when my mother died. Suddenly I had to go to design school. I had to become the fashion designer she'd always wanted herself. I dashed off to Parson School of Design in New York. I did work on 7th Avenue for 10 years. Then, by chance, I fell into shoe designing and so many other professions.
And the rest is, well, my crazy career history...
me

My path has been so twisty turny...
I LOVE what I'm doing now - Paris macaron watercolors etc.

But who knows where the road turns next? Did I mention my Mom painted and I still use her old watercolor box?
Mom, I hope I've done you proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY