Monday, January 25, 2010

Last Friday afternoon I got to attend a special event...
It only comes round once a year - the Grand Crus de Bordeaux tasting - time for the new 2007 vintage.
I admit I made a bee line to the back wall to my favorite, the Sauternes - they have a tendency to run out quickly from past experience...
First look at the wine's color in the glass before tasting - it should be a golden yellow that will become progressively darker as it ages...
Then the all important "nosing" of the wine to enhale it's aromas - dried pineapple, apricot, caramel, vanilla, honey, peach - miam
Then the sip and swill it around inside your mouth so it hits all areas...
Ah...very important. Take down thoughtful notes in the little book provided.
Then you spit into the sipttoons, so you can go on tasting unfettered, but I have a hard time spitting Sauternes...
After each taste/ slug of wine you rinse your glass with water and cleanse your palete with a plain cracker and a bite of fromage. This taster is well armed.
You are given one glass to taste all the wines as you enter - always an Austrian Riedel glass, only the best at the Bordeaux tastings.
The Marriott ballroom was jammed packed with serious trade wine tasters dashing about to get their slug of Bordeaux best wines served up by the chateau owners - a rare treat.
After 2 hours all that's left are the empties. I was ready to say,
au revoir till next year's Grand Crus tasting.
Which brings me to a book I'm waiting for, by cutting edge winewriter Michael Steinberger, Au Revoir To All That. Have you heard? Steinberger thinks French food has gone downhill in the past 25 years. French cuisine is in a rut, ruined by the invasion of le fast food (France is McDo's second biggest market), stringently high VAT charges, strict labor laws, the stifling dominance of the Michelin guides etc.
"The result is a sharp and funny book that will give Francophiles everywhere an entirely new perspective—political, economic, personal, and cultural—on the crisis in the country and food they love."
You can catch Michael Steinberger's
wine columns at Slate.
I passed Chateau Beaumont's table at the tasting, and remembered my stay at there toute seule for a few very hot July days while on a painting jaunt. I wasn't really alone - thousands of Bordelaise buzzing bugs kept me company at night - no AC or screens in a medieval turret. I was happy to bid au revoir Ch. Beaumont a few days early.
I spent last weekend recovering from too many sips of Sauternes...
BONJOUR BORDEAUX!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY