Wednesday, February 17, 2010

 One of my girlfriends and I recently had this discussion over lunch.  When I think of elegance, immediately Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Princess Diana and Catherine Deneuve come to mind.  There was thought and care that went in to style, clothing and behaviour that seems not to be as present as it once was.

Ageless beauties

    The styles exuded grace and beauty.  I love that women and men took pride in the way they dressed.  Clothing showing undergarments was unheard of .  No pants on the ground! 

Dita looking fabulous!  I love her coat!

Most of my clothing is tailored to fit me perfectly.  I prefer to wear dresses and skirts, a heel to an Ugg, a trouser to a jean, and I love to accessorize.  I like to wear a pretty flower or vintage brooch on my coat.  I receive many smiles and compliments when I wear them!          
          
                                                                              Vogue

I enjoy the ritual of getting dressed ~ sitting at my dressing table applying make-up, spritzing perfume, styling my hair, etc..  I certainly do not spend all of my time doing this.  I have three children.  I have a very busy life! 

  Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in Shall We Dance

The definition for elegance ~ refinement, grace, and beauty in movement, appearance, or manners.  Tasteful opulence in form, decoration, or presentation.

Catherine Deneuve ~ always chic

Whilst at an airport recently, my husband and I needed to ride a shuttle to another terminal.  During that ride, there were several people seated while an elderly lady was tightly holding onto a rail, trying not to fall as the driver quickly drove from one terminal to the other.  My husband and I were also standing.  Once we got off the shuttle, I asked my husband when people became this way.  I was shocked, and saddened, that not one person offered their seat to her.

Grace on her wedding day.  Isn't she a vision?

Is it that people no longer care for eachother? I do not accept busy lifestyles as a reason. Are there not enough role models? Afterall, it only takes a moment to say hello, thank you, please, you're welcome, sir, madam, and have a nice day/evening.  To hold a door for someone.  I teach my children this on a daily basis. I am proud to say my younger son recieved an award for Most Respectful Student at his school, and my other son and daughter have also been recognized for kind acts. Whew! They really are listening ;)
                                                                                  
Audrey and Grace presenting at the Academy Awards

I believe that graciousness begins with parents, teachers, adults so children can learn.  Being gracious is not only acts of kindness, patience, and courtesy but being generous in spirit ~ including social graces, empathy and tolerance. 

Audrey Hepburn

There are times in life when it seems to takes a little more effort to be gracious than to be difficult.  Perhaps we are a society that has become short of listening, empathising and understanding?  If everyone showed a bit more graciousness, it will make the world a better place.
                                                                                 
                                                                        Au Revoir!  xoxo, B
                                                                             

                                                                                   

                                                                             

                                                                               

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY