Monday, June 23, 2008

BIG MERCI

French Croquembouche, original watercolor, 9" x 11"
A BIG MERCI for making the the SUMMER GARDEN PARTY SALE a huge success and helping to get me back to Paris in October! ! !
I'm celebrating the end of the Summer sale with a melange of croquembouche..
The French have a propensity for height - they seem to love stacked cakes. i.e. The wedding cake known as the croquembouche (pronounced crow-come-bush) meaning ''to crack, crunch or crumble in the mouth''. I saw this sign hanging on patisserie Gerard Mulot's door - to prove he is a member of the French pastry guild or some such thing. Like he needs to prove anything!? I love the stacked something or other the server is holding.
"Pink" loves stacked things too and to prove it, she sent me this photo of her croquembouche birthday cake, hoping to persuade me to do another watercolor...
Croquembouche like this one...
Laduree does towers of macarons instead of the traditional pile of choux-filled carmelized profiteroles...
And here Laduree's piece de montee - a pretty wedding cake of macarons.
In my opinion Gerard Mulot is the master of these towers of power!
Here's his Fall version on a base of fall fruits and leaves, with the occasional bird pecking at the macarons - Poetic!
A favorite example of "French stackery" is this pile of crockery on a porceleine gateau in a shop window.
But my all time favorite is this poster I kept seeing in the Metro. Don't even ask me what it was for. I just LOVE the stacked shapes and colors - this could be my wedding gateau!
BONNE JOURNEE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY