Monday, March 10, 2008

Tea with Terttu

Tea with Terttu, original watercolor, 9"x 11"
Yesterday I had tea with Terttu, my swimming buddy from Finland.
Everywhere in her house the walls are covered with crafts made by her relatives.
Terttu made this embroidary of running Elk when she was just eleven years old!
Here is her brother in Lapland after a hike..contemplating the landscape.
Europeans always seem to be hiking or biking or some such thing...
A cousin, I think made this geometric rug...
We had Matjes Herring (from Finland of course) as a snack.
And doesn't it look alot like the rug patterns?
After a bit, Terttu brought out the costume she wore as a girl for folk dancing..
Admittedly I begged her to show me :)
Beautiful embroidery again! Beautiful patterns and more geometry!
...from a book showing the regional costumes all over Finland.Black and white with stunning designs and patterns..like the rug...like the Matjes herring...like the blue and white Arabia cups we drank tea out of...
Some Finnish wooden flowers a friend brought Terttu...
A special birthday present Terttu bought herself in Finland by designer Oiva Toikka for glassmakers Toikka.
This is Terttu's church from her hometown of Kirvu.
After the war the Russians took over that part of Finland, so the church and the town are gone... But look at the geometry and the patterns!
And here is my friend Terttu!
She just got back from a trip to Argentina and Punta Arenas, Chile and is thinking about the penguins she fell in love with there... I have fallen in love with Finland since I met Terttu and I hope I go to visit someday. Next Monday this time I will be in Paris and reporting back all the details I promise!
Right now I'm late (as usual) to meet Terttu at the pool...Bye....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY