Friday, March 14, 2008

Dalloyau Opera cake

Opera cake watercolor
Dalloyau Opera cake, original watercolor, 9" x 12"
It's "Chocolate Friday" and we shall discuss the classic Opera Cake or gateau..
Opera cake

Dalloyau has happily taken on the mantle of ownership of the multi-layered CHOCOLATE Opera Gateau.

Opera cake

I just happened to by passing the Bastille Dalloyau. And in the name of research bla bla bla, all for your benefit bien sur, I felt I must taste Dalloyau's, considered by pastry chefs in the know to be the best. Dalloyau is pronounced doll-why-oh by the way.

Opera cake They do have lovely tea salons at each of their shops, so why not?
Opera cake Firstly you must see the Opera Garnier, namesake of the famous Opera Cake.
Opera cake And it just so happens that Dalloyau was celebrating the 100th anniversary of this cake and making a great to-do over it...
Opera cake Et Voila!
The new special version of the cake with their sketch imposed on the top layer!
Opera cake They've also got a pink or raspberry version called,
"OPERA ROCK"
Opera cakeFor those of us with smaller appetites, an entrement or side dish in 3 versions.
A look inside...
A closeup of THE OPERA CAKE!
4 layers of kahlua-soaked joconde
3 layers of coffee buttercream
with chocolate ganache in between
and glaze on top
which makes up all of 8 layers!

As described by Bozzacafe on Flickr, who was brave enough to make this.
I aim to please you all but I have to please myself too and this beehive of caramel was calling out to me - the Torbillon Caramel.
Opera cakeSo I indulged and ordered the two of them. Pas de choise...
Opera cakeNot being fond of creamy things I demolished the outer coating of caramel and dissected the rest. If only you'd come along and help me out here :)
Opera cakeAnd an entrement of my own -
I was pleasently surprised by your responses yesterday at mentioning my last minute fears of leaving home. I feel much better now. BIG MERCI!
In this morning's NYTimes I found this salient quote that should inspire us all to get out there and see the world. This said by Barack Obama's half-sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng on their mother:
“She felt that somehow, wandering through uncharted territory, we might stumble upon something that will, in an instant, seem to represent who we are at the core...That was very much her philosophy of life — to not be limited by fear or narrow definitions, to not build walls around ourselves and to do our best to find kinship and beauty in unexpected places.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY