Wednesday, June 23, 2010

bien élevé

I looked at this little paw clutching the patisserie counter in anticipation and wondered... Mom, how come my first sandwich cookie was an Oreo? Not a framboise macaron..? I've no remembrances of things (madeleines) past... I cut my eye tooth on home-made rock-hard oatmeal cookies...I never made any religieuses with the aid of a kid's cookbook. Though Mom, you did let me place raisin 'buttons' on the gingerbread men.
C'est comme ca...
My marshmallows were not exotically flavored delicate affairs like these pastel guimauves...
Mine came in a puffy bag and I popped them one-by-one into my mouth without thinking. I enjoyed roasting them over the stove on a fork, especially when you were out of the house Mom. How I never burnt down the house is amazing!
Claes Oldenburg got it right...
Our cakes are clutzy! Everything is too big.
No wonder we go nuts over Paris pastries?
When we grew up eating this?
Where was our early taste-bud training?
French kids learn to become little locavores early cooking what's in season..
Mom, I'm feeling a bit miffed. A bit deprived...
I have a lot of catching up to do and it's hard work!
I'd like to send you all bites of everything I have to taste to catch up. The next best thing is this Paris patisserie guide. I met the editor at BEA last month. She was telling me what hard work it was, having Paris pastry chefs drop off new gateaux everyday at her office to taste. And it took some heavy arm twisting to get those chefs to divulge their secret recipes for the book. Pastry isn't all fun and games you know...
The pictures in this book are almost better than the real thing in fact, so take a bite!
bien élevé = qui a reçu une bonne éducation.
BONJOUR PASTRY EDUCATION!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY