Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Alice Je T'aime

Immediately upon arrival in Paris I couldn't help notice the French obsession with Alice. The Tim Burton movie poster is posted everywhere.
Vitrine/windows are full of headless Alice figures (called A-leece here). The macaron box to buy is the 'Alice' music box. I bought it for a mere 26 euros - a steal non?
Printemps windows - 9 designers created special Alice dresses including the late Alexander McQueen...
I ask French Girl, "What's up with all the Alice stuff?"
French Girl replies, "The French are obsessed with Aleece."
"Ah ha" I say.

The wheels start to turn. I put 2 + 2 together...
Everywhere I see signs of Alice like this adorable pinney.
My theory falls into place.
Alice is the epitome of the naughty/ yet innocent little French school girl in her pinafore, long flowing locks, headband and flat mary jane shoes/ballerinas.
Tim Burton's Alice is not doing it for me. Alice looks like she's been round the block too many times.The dress is a disaster, I'm sorry Tim. Plus she has bazooms! Something many French girls are missing. Yet no one seems to mind...
I watch French Girl get dressed for work, fascinated by the ingenious combinations and layers she throws together. One day I say, "You look exactly like a French school girl in that outfit!"
Here - a pricey smock in Galeries Lafayette...
Sonia adores the little girl sailor shirt - I would happily kill for one of these cuties...sigh
The ageless French obsession with the child's ballerina fits perfectly into my Alice theory.
The headband with a big bow, worn with a rather decollete top open to reveal a black bra - the charming combination of naughty but nice.
A grown French woman with her beau, her ballerinas, her headband and long locks.
"Allo Aleece?"
Printemps has gone all out and created the perfect chez Alice salon de the...
From the escalator, you look down on an always full long tea table, checkered floor and watch the tea party. It's a delight!

Colette stirred the pot with her naughty school girl novels - Claudine à l'école, Claudine a Paris etc.

This adorable schoolgirl caught me snapping her in the Luxemburg jardin. Have you ever heard American girls married to French men, complain of their French mother-in-laws, who maintain their girlish figures with ease and still fit into their navy pleated skirts from school days long gone? I have...

Lewis Carroll, you inspired the French even more than the Brits when it comes to this "Alice Obsession" in my humble opinion.

The Mad Hatters tea party continues...

These petite pastel-colored macaron are the perfect accompaniment to the French school girl look.

This is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

What do you think?

Do tell all.

BONJOUR ALICE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY